10 Best Markdown Editors for Linux
In this article, we shall review some of the best Markdown editors you can install and use on your Linux desktop. There are numerous Markdown editors you can find for Linux but here, we want to unveil possibly the best you may choose to work with.
For starters, Markdown is a simple and lightweight tool written in Perl, that enables users to write plain text format and covert it to valid HTML (or XHTML). It is literally an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text language and a software tool for text-to-HTML conversion.
Hoping that you have a slight understanding of what Markdown is, let us proceed to list the editors.
Atom is a modern, cross-platform, open-source and very powerful text editor that can work on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X operating systems. Users can customize it down to its base, minus altering any configuration files.
It is designed with some illustrious features and these include:
- Comes with a built-in package manager
- Smart auto-completion functionality
- Offers multiple panes
- Supports find and replace functionality
- Includes a file system browser
- Easily customizable themes
- Highly extensible using open-source packages and many more
Visit Homepage: https://atom.io/
2. GNU Emacs
Emacs is one of the popular open-source text editors you can find on the Linux platform today. It is a great editor for Markdown language, which is highly extensible and customizable.
It’s comprehensively developed with the following amazing features:
- Comes with an extensive built-in documentation including tutorials for beginners
- Full Unicode support for probably all human scripts
- Supports content-aware text-editing modes
- Includes syntax coloring for multiple file types
- Its highly customizable using Emacs Lisp code or GUI
- Offers a packaging system for downloading and installing various extensions plus so much more
Visit Homepage: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
Remarkable is possibly the best Markdown editor you can find on Linux, it also works on Windows operating system. It is indeed a remarkable and fully featured Markdown editor that offers users some exciting features.
Some of its remarkable features include:
- Supports live preview
- Supports exporting to PDF and HTML
- Also offers Github Markdown
- Supports custom CSS
- It also supports syntax highlighting
- Offers keyboard shortcuts
- Highly customizable plus and many more
Visit Homepage: https://remarkableapp.github.io
Haroopad is an extensively built, cross-platform Markdown document processor for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. It enables users to write expert-level documents of numerous formats including email, reports, blogs, presentations, blog posts and many more.
It is fully featured with the following notable features:
- Easily imports content
- Also exports to numerous formats
- Broadly supports blogging and mailing
- Supports several mathematical expressions
- Supports Github flavored Markdown and extensions
- Offers users some exciting themes, skins and UI components plus so much more
Visit Homepage: http://pad.haroopress.com/
ReText is a simple, lightweight and powerful Markdown editor for Linux and several other POSIX-compatible operating systems. It also doubles as a reStructuredText editor, and has the following attributes:
- Simple and intuitive GUI
- It is highly customizable, users can customize file syntax and configuration options
- Also supports several color schemes
- Supports use of multiple mathematical formulas
- Enables export extensions and many more
Visit Homepage: https://github.com/retext-project/retext
UberWriter is a simple and easy-to-use Markdown editor for Linux, it’s development was highly influenced by iA writer for Mac OS X. It is also feature rich with these remarkable features:
- Uses pandoc to perform all text-to-HTML conversions
- Offers a clean UI
- Offers a distraction free mode, highlighting a users last sentence
- Supports spellcheck
- Also supports full screen mode
- Supports exporting to PDF, HTML and RTF using pandoc
- Enables syntax highlighting and mathematical functions plus many more
Visit Homepage: http://uberwriter.wolfvollprecht.de/
7. Mark My Words
Mark My Words is a also lightweight yet powerful Markdown editor. It’s a relatively new editor, therefore offers a handful of features including syntax highlighting, simple and intuitive GUI.
The following are some of the awesome features yet to be bundled into the application:
- Live preview support
- Markdown parsing and file IO
- State management
- Support for exporting to PDF and HTML
- Monitoring files for changes
- Support for preferences
Visit Homepage: https://github.com/voldyman/MarkMyWords
8. Vim-Instant-Markdown Plugin
Vim is a powerful, popular and open-source text editor for Linux that has stood the test of time. It is great for coding purposes. It is also highly pluggable to enable users add several other functionalities to it, including Markdown preview.
There are multiple Vim Markdown preview plugins, but you can use Vim-Instant-Markdown which offers the best performance.
9. Bracket-MarkdownPreview Plugin
Brackets is a modern, lightweight, open source and also cross-platform text editor. Built specifically for web designing and development purposes. Some of its notable features include: support for inline editors, live preview, preprocessor support and many more.
It is also highly extensible through plugins and you can use the Bracket-MarkdownPreview plugin to write and preview Markdown documents.
10. SublimeText-Markdown Plugin
Sublime Text is a refined, popular and cross-platform text editor for code, markdown and prose. It has a high performance enabled by the following exciting features:
- Simple and slick GUI
- Supports multiple selections
- Offers a distraction free mode
- Supports split editing
- Highly pluggable through Python plugin API
- Fully customizable and offers a command palette
SublimeText-Markdown plugin is a package that supports syntax highlighting and comes with some good color schemes.
Having walked through the list above, you probably know what Markdown editors and document processors to download and install on your Linux desktop for now.
Note that what we consider to be the best here may reasonably not be the best for you, therefore, you can reveal to us exciting Markdown editors that you think are missing in the list and have earned the right to be mentioned here by sharing your thoughts via the feedback section below.
|留言与评论（共有 0 条评论）|